- An average of 2 youth between the ages of 10 and 24 die by suicide each week in Washington State.
- More than one in every 10 high school students reported having attempted suicide; nearly 1 in 6 students between the ages of 12-17 have seriously considered it.
- More than 30% of LGBTQ youth report at least one suicide attempt within the last year.*
- Almost 50% of transgender youth have seriously thought about suicide, and 25% reported that they have made a suicide attempt.*
- Youth suicides outnumber youth homicides.
*Based on national statistics as Washington State does not specifically track suicide statistics for our LGBTQ and Transgender populations. Souce: Grossman, A.H. & D'Augelli, A.R. (2007). Transgender Youth and Life-Threatening Behaviors. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviors.37(5), 527-37.
to the top
For the latest ranking by state and the rates by gender, age, and ethnicity in the U.S. go to www.suicidology.org.